Friday, July 9, 2010

Movie Review- The Last Airbender

Have you seen the previews for The Last Airbender?

OK, when I watched that, I expected it to be similar to Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.

So, when I was visiting my parents for my mom's retirement, I suggested to my dad that we go see it. Plus it was in 3D,and I haven't seen any movies with the new technology. Well, he agreed to go, and I was excited. I was already a little taken aback when the opening credits indicated it was made by Nickelodeon films. Uh oh. What I had gotten us in for?

Well, let's just say that the dialogue is nothing to write home about. I think stilted is a generous description. The action scenes were slow too, but the general effects were pretty good. I will say though that I think the movie would have been just the same without the 3D. There seemed to be lots of opportunity to use the technology, but it was rarely employed.

The movie itself was written by M. Night Shyamalan. This means it wasn't based on a book or anything like that. It is very clear that this was a first installment in a series. I wish there were books though because I would just check them out from the library to find out how the story ends. Overall I'd give this movie a C+. I was entertained for the time, but it certainly wasn't worth movie theater prices. I might rent the next two just so I can see what happens, but I certainly won't go see them at 3D prices.

On a related note, the next Narnia movie is going to be in 3D. I suspect I'll see it in regular format, but probably not in the theater. I loved the books so much though, that I have to see the movies when they come out. It's like the Harry Potters even though the first ones were so poorly made.

1 comment:

  1. Let's see, the last two movies I saw in the theater were Babies and Avatar, so that tells you how often I get to the theater. Don't quote me on this, but I *think* Last Airbender was one of those movies converted to 3D after the fact (unlike Avatar, which was filmed in 3D), so maybe that's why it didn't look as cool. It's just outrageous how much money they charge for 3D movies.

    ReplyDelete